of The Durham Savoyards, Ltd.
The Peer and the Peri
Strephon, an Arcadian shepherd, wants to marry Phyllis, a ward to
the Court of Chancery, but the Lord Chancellor objects. Strephon, it
appears, is half fairy down to the waist. His mother, Iolanthe,
pleads his cause. The fairies intercede, and Strephon find himself
elected to Parliament, whereupon he passes a law requiring Parliament
members to be elected based on intelligence rather than class.
Iolanthe has a very well known overture, and particularly beautiful
Iolanthe opened on November 25, 1882, at the Savoy Theatre and ran
for 400 performances.
Durham Savoyards Performance History
- May 19-20, 1967, Page Auditorium, Duke University
Director: Joseph W. Talarowski Music Director: Paul Bryan
- April 23-24, 1976, Page Auditorium, Duke University
Director: Randolph Umberger Music Director: Allan Bone Producers: Kelly Matherly and John Setzer
- May 15-16 and May 22-23, 1987, Page Auditorium, Duke University
Director: Randolph Umberger Music Director: Benjamin Keaton Producer: Daryll Powell
- April 23-26, 1998, Carolina Theatre, Durham, NC; May 2-3, 1998, Thalian Hall, Wilmington, NC
Artistic Director: Randolph Umberger Music Director: Benjamin Keaton Producer: Patrick Kenan
- March 29-April 1, 2012, Carolina Theatre, Durham, NC
Director: Derrick Ivey Music Director: Alan Riley Jones Producer: Paula Scotland
Return to Archives Table of Contents